Borrowing and Fees
|Books, audiobooks, and CDs||3 weeks|
|Magazines, DVDs, and video games||1 week|
|eBooks and eAudiobooks||3 weeks|
|Digital magazines||7, 14, or 21 days|
|Law Library materials||1 or 2 weeks|
Request First Available Copy
Items without a waiting list will be automatically renewed four days before their due dates. Most items can be renewed up to three times. Items on waiting lists and interlibrary loans cannot be renewed or have loan periods extended. Renew materials by phone, in person, or online.
Book returns are open 24/7 at all Washington County Library branches and Library Express locations. Materials may also be returned to any public library in the Twin Cities metro area. Items returned at other metro libraries remain on your account until they arrive back to Washington County Library.
To share library resources in a fair and timely manner, there are limits for any library account at one time. Borrowing privileges are suspended when limits are exceeded.
|eBooks or eAudiobooks checked out|
eBook or eAudiobook requests
|Video games checked out||5 items|
|Washington County Library requests||20 items|
|MNLINK (interlibrary loan) requests||10 items|
|Overdue items||25 items|
|Total borrowed items||100 items|
Educator and Organization library cards have higher borrowing limits. Users with those cards can borrow up to 150 items and place a total of 50 holds for materials. Learn more about special library cards.
We send courtesy email or mail notices for:
- Materials that have been automatically renewed (email)
- Materials nearing due date (email)
- Overdue and lost materials (email and mail)
Fees for Lost or Damaged Items
We do not charge daily fines for overdue materials, but we do charge a replacement fee for lost or damaged items. We cannot accept purchased books or other items as replacements for lost or damaged materials.
- Damaged Items – We charge a replacement fee for damaged items. The replacement cost for various items is set annually in the Washington County Fee Schedule.
- Lost or Not Returned Items – Items that check out for three weeks are considered lost when they are six weeks overdue. Items that check out for one week are considered lost when they are three weeks overdue. A final billing notice for the replacement cost of materials is sent when items are considered lost. If you pay for an item, and later find the item, the payment will not be refunded.
- Charges Sent to Collections – Charges of more than $50 are sent to Washington County for debt collection 30 days after the final notice is sent. There is an additional $15 fee for any account sent to Washington County for debt collection.
If you have unpaid fees on your library account, borrowing privileges are suspended until the fees have been resolved.