Borrowing and Fees
|Books, magazines, audiobooks and CDs||3 weeks|
|DVDs and video games||1 week|
|eBooks and eAudiobooks||3 weeks|
|Digital magazines||7, 14, or 21 days|
|Law Library materials||1 or 2 weeks|
Request first available copy
Items without a waiting list will be automatically renewed. Most items can be renewed up to three times. Items on waiting lists and interlibrary loans cannot be renewed or have loan periods extended. Renew materials by phone, in person, or online.
Book returns are open 24/7 at all Washington County libraries and Library Express locations. Materials may also be returned to any public library in the Twin Cities metro area. Items returned at other metro libraries remain on your account until they arrive back to Washington County Library.
To share library resources in a fair and timely manner, there are limits for any library account at one time. Borrowing privileges are suspended when limits are exceeded
|eBooks or eAudiobooks checked out|
eBook or eAudiobook requests
|Video games checked out||3 items|
|Washington County Library requests||20 items|
|MNLINK (interlibrary loan) requests||10 items|
|Overdue items||25 items|
|Total borrowed items||100 items|
Washington County Library sends courtesy email or mail notices for:
- Materials that have been automatically renewed (email)
- Materials nearing due date (email)
- Overdue and lost materials (email and mail)
A final billing notice is sent at six weeks overdue for unreturned three-week loans and at three weeks overdue for unreturned one-week loans. The final notice is a bill for the replacement cost of materials plus a nonrefundable $8 recovery fee for each item. 30 days after the final notice is sent unpaid charges of more than $50 are sent to Washington County for debt collection.
Printing and Copies
- 15¢ per page for black and white printing and copies.
- 50¢ per page for color printing and copies.
- Now you can print at your library from anywhere!
- $60 a year for a card issued to anyone who does not reside in or own property in a Washington County Library, Stillwater Library, or Bayport Library taxing districts. A $60 card may be used to borrow print library materials only. It is not valid for access to WCL’s digital resources. This card is only valid for checking out materials from libraries in Washington County. It is not transferable to other Minnesota libraries.
- Replacement cost for damaged items. If a library item is returned in a condition that makes it unusable, it is considered damaged.
- Replacement price for items lost or not returned. Items that check out for three weeks are considered lost when they are six weeks overdue. Items that check out for one week are considered lost when they are three weeks overdue. If a library user pays for an item, and later finds the item, the payment will not be refunded.
- $8 recovery fee for each item that is not returned before being considered lost. To avoid the $8 recovery fee, return items by their due dates or renew items that you want to keep longer. If you misplace, damage, or lose a library item, pay the replacement price before you receive a bill for the item to avoid being charged the recovery fee. If you return the item after being billed, the replacement fee will be cancelled, but the recovery fee must still be paid.
- $15 fee for any account sent to Washington County for debt collection.
If you have unpaid fees on your library account, borrowing privileges are suspended until the fees have been resolved. Washington County Library does not charge daily fines for overdue materials.