Washington County Library proudly serves more than 267,000 county residents at seven branch locations, a Law Library in the Washington County Government Center, three Library Express locker locations, and a popular digital branch for online services and support.
We serve our users in many ways:
- Our collection of physical and digital resources meets the information needs of our communities.
- Support for users of all backgrounds, provided by knowledgeable library staff, ensures visitors feel welcome and can access the information they seek.
- Resources for literacy and learning empower users of all ages to explore new interests and develop the skills they need to thrive.
- Digital connectivity to public computers, internet access
- Welcoming and safe spaces provide opportunities for users to gather, learn, and build community.
Our 2024-2028 Strategic Plan includes four priorities that will shape the library's work over the next several years. Each of these priorities is supported by specific goals and measurable actions to help this vision become a reality.
You can see the priorities, goals, and actions below. Or, download a full copy of our strategic plan (PDF).
Goal 1: Champion reading and lifelong learning.
- Evaluate programs to ensure they support the values and priorities of the library.
- Develop new programs to fill service gaps and phase out existing programs that do not meet community needs.
Goal 2: Broaden and improve access to ensure services are delivered equitably.
- Make catalog and website more user-friendly by improving findability of materials and information.
- Complete an audit to update or eliminate out of date policies, guidelines, and procedures.
- Identify additional opportunities to make materials more accessible for all community members.
- Increase availability of library spaces.
Goal 1: Support, educate, and empower staff to deliver library services.
- Establish standardized guidelines and operating procedures.
- Assess opportunities to improve staff training with an emphasis on DEI.
- Ensure staffing is adequate to deliver library services at all locations.
Goal 2: Build a diverse staff while retaining and investing in current employees.
- Provide equitable opportunities for all staff to participate in professional development.
- Improve staff retention.
- Examine our hiring process and remove barriers to recruit staff that reflect the communities we serve.
Goal: Provide technology that meets the needs of library users and staff.
- Improve technology available to the public in library branches.
- Empower staff to explore and adopt new technologies by providing training and support.
- Collaborate with Information Technology to improve staff technology essential for delivery library services.
Goal: Ensure library spaces are modern, safe, and inviting for all.
- Audit all spaces to identify if they are welcoming.
- Develop process for managing accommodation requests.
- Collaborate with Building Services, Risk Management, and the County's Security Liaison to ensure facilities are safe and accessible.
- Ensure library signage is consistent, accessible, and effective.
Goal 1: Increase visibility and awareness of library services.
- Prioritize outreach to marginalized and underserved communities.
- Develop a strategic marketing plan for library services.
Goal 2: Evaluate, strengthen, and expand partnerships.
- Determine priorities for creating and forming partnerships with community organizations.
- Find community partners who help fill gaps in services and programming.
- Combine efforts with other county departments in targeted outreach activities.