Legal Assistance Services
We have several legal services where you can get free or low cost legal advice from an attorney listed below, ordered by legal topic.
- Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services 1-888-575-2954 or 651-222-5863
- Free legal help to low-income and senior citizen clients for civil (non-criminal) legal problems, including family law, government benefits, housing, probate, tax and other matters.
- Volunteer Lawyers Network 612-752-6677
- Statewide legal services available for low-income clients. Spanish legal services also available. VLN covers topics such as, bankruptcy, civil, employment, family, landlord-tenant, real estate, immigration and tax.
- Minnesota Legal Advice Online
- Volunteer attorneys answer legal questions via email for individuals who meet income qualifications.
- Children's Law Center of Minnesota 651-644-4438
- Free Advocacy and legal representation for foster care youth in Minnesota.
- Public Defender Office - 10th Judicial District 651-351-3700
- Legal services by court appointment for low-income people involved in criminal and juvenile delinquency cases.
- Washington County Criminal Defense Panel Program 651-748-9373
- People charged with a misdemeanor, gross misdemeanor, or felony in Washington County may get some brief legal help from a private attorney in this program free of charge.
- Neighborhood Justice Center 651-222-4703
- Criminal defense & expungement services for low-income residents of Ramsey, Washington & Dakota counties.
- Minnesota Disability Law Center 1-800-292-4150 or 612-332-4668
- Free civil (non-criminal) legal assistance to individuals with disabilities statewide on legal issues related to their disabilities.
- Tubman Family Crisis & Support Services Crisis Line: 612-825-0000
- Tubman address a variety of domestic abuse and family law issues.
- Standpoint 1-800-313-2666 or 612-343-9842
- Statewide program serving battered women, their advocates, attorneys and general public in Minnesota.
Housing & Homelessness
- HOME Line (tenant hotline) 612-728-5767
- Statewide tenant's rights organization that provides free legal advice to renters in Minnesota
- Estate & Elder Law Services (Volunteers of America) 612-676-6300
- Attorneys assist clients with wills, trusts, estate planning, probate, powers of attorney, health care directives, guardianship, conservatorship, special needs trusts, Medical Assistance (MA) planning, and real estate matters. All individuals are eligible to receive services at private pay rates and those with disabilities or age 60 and older may qualify to receive services at subsidized rates based on monthly income and asset level.
- Upper Midwest Pension Rights Project 1-866-783-5021 or 651-641-8612
- Regional pension counseling project to provide free legal counseling services to individuals with retirement and pension plan issues.